3/18/08

SEEGER SESSIONS

When my brother and I were youngins, my dad would take us to upstate NY every year for the Saranac Lake Winter Carnival. I didnt give a fuck where it was because it had this sweet fucking ICE PALACE with a slide. To prepare for the six hour drive we would fill a couple shoe boxes with cassette tapes. My brother's cassettes: Nirvana, Blind Melon, Def Leppard, Danzig. Mine: Weird Al Yankovic, The Animaniacs soundtrack, Phil Collins (pretty sure Phil was a hand-me-down from my brother). Nothing we played over our walkmen however could keep us from giving in to what my father would inevitably play on the car stereo; a Pete Seeger and Arlo Guthrie live album titled "Precious Friend". I was never sure why this became the tradition, but we genuinely loved those songs. I've been wanting to cover a Pete song for a while. Heres one from that album.

PRECIOUS FRIEND YOU WILL BE THERE


Pete, "Brother Kirk", and Big Bird

6 comments:

joy said...

dude. that drawing is just like the album.

Dan McCool said...

yeah! do you know it? I bought it for a dollar whilst record shopping

joy said...

yeah, man! i've seen it here and there. we have some sesame st. records at my 'rents house. i'll have to check and see if they have this one.

Dan McCool said...

if you find it, you should listen to 'patty cake the gorilla'. best ever

joy said...

will do, brother lou.

Marissa Long said...

this is great.